Progress Center directly assists persons with disabilities to establish lives in the community. We serve and support people with disabilities of all ages to increase and maintain independence. We also assist families and communities.
All Centers for Independent Living (CIL) are mandated to provide these four core services:
- Information and Referral
- Information about any disability related topic, and referral to other resources when needed.
- Active support for direct, nonviolent action for disability rights, both at the individual and systemic level.
- Independent Living Skills
- Training on the know-how to live independently, from budgeting to traveling, from personal assistant management to job seeking, and more. Tell us what you want to learn.
- Peer Counseling
- Sharing and problem-solving about every day issues with people who understand what it’s like: Other people with disabilities.
Advocacy & Other Services
In order to provide our core services, we offer the following programs:
- Personal Assistance
- Recruitment, training and information about using personal assistance services.
- Make Medicare Work
- Informing consumers about the new Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit (Part D), ensuring people receive all the benefits they are entitled to under the program, and advocating for positive change in the program to better serve those affected.
- Community Reintegration Program
- Assistance to people who want to move from a nursing home back back to their community.
- Assistance with housing issues, including assistance in locating housing and advocating for increased access to affordable, accessible, and integrated housing.
- Deaf Services
- All of our services targeted to the deaf/hard of hearing community, as well as TTY distribution and training.
- Community Education
- Presentations to community groups about independent living, disability rights and disability culture.
- Volunteer Opportunities
- The chance to expand horizons and build skills.
- Drop-in Center/Computer Access
- Informal support, resource library and access to computers.
- Latino Outreach Project
- All of our services, in Spanish or English, targeted to the Latino Disability Community.